At a time when Sri Lanka is making efforts to modernize education and throw open the opportunity to a greater number of children to be enrolled in educational programmes, efforts to introduce a curriculum based on aesthetics is in the right direction.
United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 4: specifically targets quality education and Aesthetic Education which incorporates the arts across the curriculum in a way that fosters a heightened awareness of and an appreciation for all that touches our lives. It is a way of regaining touch with the process of learning something new, of being introduced to a medium never known in a particular way before.
Traditionally we focus most of our attention on linguistic and logical-mathematical intelligence. However, Multiple Intelligence studies have shown that we should also place equal attention on individuals who show gifts in the other intelligences: the artists, architects, musicians, naturalists, designers, dancers and so on. Unfortunately, many children who have these gifts have not been provided with such opportunities and we believe your efforts will help open a new window of opportunity to brighten the lives of Sri Lankan youth of the future.
For those following a higher Diploma in Childhood Education, we are happy to provide them a pathway to a UGC approved degree in Child Care Education.
We endorse the innovative programme of Pragathi.
හෙටට අවශ්ය යහපත් මිනිසෙකු නිර්මාණය කිරීමට අද දවසේ යුතුකම නම් නව්යකරණය වූ අධ්යාපන ක්රමයක් අප රට තුළ රෝපණය කිරීමයි. එහි පළමු පියවර මුල් ළමා විය අධ්යාපනයේ අත්යවශ්ය සංශෝධිතයන් හා නවමු එක්වීම් වහ වහාම එම් අධ්යාපන ක්ෂේත්රය වෙත මුදා හැරීමයි.
Bachelor of Early Childhood Education Top Up Year Program
The 1 Year Program will consist of 12 modules covering vital aspects of early childhood education fit for students with a prior knowledge/background in any child care/teaching setting. The modules are as follows:
Early Childhood Guidance
- What Guidance is for Children in the Early Childhood age category
- Methods, Techniques, and Awareness on how guidance is carried out
- The Preschool Teacher
- The psychology of a child from Conception to 5 Years
- The Mental development of children of early childhood
- Resolving issues faced by a caregiver when dealing with children with special needs
Health, Nutrition and Safety
- Adequate nourishment in early childhood
- Maintaining health
- Ensuring safety of children in child care setting
Language, Arts and Reading in Early Childhood Development
- Language and Literacy Development
- Importance of Visual Arts and other crafts/Creativity
- Importance of Reading from an early age
- Parent-child communication
- Maintaining professional communication methods parents, teachers and the community you work with
- What are human/children rights?
- Importance of Children’s rights and history
- The Child Rights Convention and developments
- History of Children’s Literature
- Creating short stories
- Elements of Literature
Assessment & Evaluation
- Methods of Assessment and Evaluation
Contemporary Approaches, Trends and Issues in ECE
- What are contemporary approaches to early childhood education
- An insight into these approaches
- Problems faced by caregivers in child care settings
- International Child Care Settings
- Research into methods of child care and its standards in International Child care settings
Teamwork, Leadership & Management
- How to carry out and maintain efficient teamwork
- To perform as a leader for smooth management in childcare
- Maintaining professionalism
Personal Management of the Caregiver
- Personal qualities of a caregiver
- Stress Management
Students will be required to have a successful assignment submission (written assignment Or presentation as per the lecturer’s instructions) and a written examination paper at the end of each module.
Prof. Dr.Sir, Romesh Jayasinghe
Ph.D.(Hon.), Dh.C.(USA), B.Sc.(USA), Grad.Dip.Ed.(UK), FRSPH(UK), MBCS(UK), M.Inst.Psy.
Head of Department
Mrs. G. D. De Silva
H. Dip, BA in ECE
Dr. Dame Aspasia Peppa
DBA(Doctor of Business Administration) B.A. Business Administration and Tourism Business Administration. MSc Communication and Pedagogy / P.R / Life Coaching / Career Coach..Professor
Prof.Lakshman, Chancellor Speaking on 17th Feb 2020 at Sirasa Jeevithayata Ida Denna–ජීවිතයට ඉඩදෙන්න– program from 7 am LIVE on education reforms and the value of aesthetic education for primary levels. I explained the Multiple Intelligence -MI- concepts of Howard Gardner and 4 stages of Piaget